Connect the Dots Ginger | Becky Allen: Breaking The Stereotype

Friday, November 15, 2013

Breaking The Stereotype

(source: Active.com)

One thing I have noticed over the last few weeks and this week in particular, now that I am showing, is everyone is SHOCKED that I am still running while pregnant. At the training program last Saturday people were so amazed that I could still run while pregnant. People at the gym are the same way. They all ask, "Is your doctor ok with this?" "How are you feeling?" "How long have you been running for?" And such. For so many years it was so taboo to do exercise without just sitting in a chair but to get out and actually run was FORBIDDEN!

Even recently doctors have changed their tune with what to watch for while pregnant and exercising. It used to be don't let your heart rate get above 140 bpm. But that is all done with now. Doctors say that if you have previously been running/exercising you may continue to do so. Their main concern now is with overheating and dehydration. Especially while running. And the other day I read this article here about the benefits of exercising while pregnant. And here is another great article about running while pregnant.

I think it is just so funny when I am running or exercising now to just get these looks of shock. Just you wait peeps until I am HUGE and still running. The 1/2 marathon will be an interesting sight to behold because I will have a very "out there" belly!

Rule of thumb about exercising while pregnant. TALK TO YOUR OB/GYN! Seriously. Ask them what they think. And listen to your body. You will know if something doesn't feel right. If it doesn't stop, slow down and/or try again later. 1st trimester is hard to exercise in because you are sick, sick, sick. 3rd trimester is hard to exercise in because you are huge, and getting huge-r (still walk or run though it is great for you)! So use the 2nd trimester to get back into it and just walk if you have to. But LISTEN to you body!

QOTD: What is your favorite exercise to do while pregnant?

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL! I have talked with my own doctor about what he wants me to do and continue with. These opinions are purely mine and the sites that I listed. Talk with your doctor or medical professional for help and advice on medical questions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...